With the ever evolving situation with COVID-19 this page will host updates as they become available in regards to resources, events and other information related to the upcoming cycle. You can also refer to our COVID-19 FAQ section, and encourage you to continue to pay attention to emails sent from our office.
If you plan to apply to medical schools in summer 2020 for matriculation in fall 2021, please follow the instructions on this page. Please bookmark this page now and refer to it throughout the application process; this should be your first source when you have questions. If you are a reapplicant, follow the special instructions on the "Being a Reapplicant" page in the left sidebar instead. There are also Application Resources at the bottom of this page, including the slides and resources from workshops.
If you are an alum who needs their NetID extended to view Box documents please email email@example.com from a non Duke email and ask for your NetID to be extended.
We strongly encourage applicants to attend the workshops outlined on this page to support their application process. If you are unable to attend it is our expectation that you review all posted materials prior to your RMA appointment.
To Do Now If You Haven't
- Questions about how to complete your applications? Please start by reading the Guide for Duke Students & Alumni Applying to Medical School. Many FAQs are answered in that document.
- Start Your Primary Applications in the application systems
- The AMCAS application opens and you can begin to enter information May 4, 2020.
- Applying to Texas medical schools? You may need to fill out the TMDSAS application form for these; some applications can be submitted in May.
- Applying to Osteopathic medical schools? You will need to fill out an AACOMAS application as well; some applications may be submitted in May.
- Enter your letters of recommendation information into your primary. Each application system has different guidelines for submission so please refer to the system and our Guide for what you then need to send to your writers.
- Send a final transcript to AMCAS with final spring grades once spring grades are posted. Directions for Duke transcripts.
- Finalize the list of schools to which you will apply.
- Finalize your personal statement.
- Register for CASPer to take it in June or July
- Submit your AMCAS application as soon as the application service opens for submission on May 28, 2020
- Complete CASPer if required or recommended by any of the medical schools you have applied to.
- The application service will then verify your application, i.e., will check and verify the listing of your courses and grades. If you submit your application in the first week of June, verification may take a few days or a week. If you submit your application in mid/late June or July, verification may take several weeks. This delays the transmission of your application to medical schools. If there are errors or inaccuracies during the verification process, you may submit an Academic Change Request to be reviewed by AMCAS. After the review, the request can either be granted or denied.
- Request your Committee Letter be uploaded after your application is verified by emailing a PDF of your verified application to the HPA Office to firstname.lastname@example.org. This tells us that your application is complete and ready to send to medical schools. We will then write and upload your Committee Letter to the application service within 10 business days of receiving all required information. The last day to request a committee letter be uploaded is September 1, 2020.
- If you are applying to multiple systems you need to request each time you a verified by an application system.
- For TMDSAS applications, please forward the email you receive from TMDSAS stating that your application has been transmitted to schools and attach a PDF of your application with that email and a copy of your AMCAS application (does not need to be verified)
- For AACOMAS applications, you only need to send one school's application.
- If you did not complete a RMA with one of us you must submit the RMA essay questions along with your verified application.
- Follow AMCAS on Twitter for updates on what applications they are working on for verification.
- AMCAS will begin releasing applications to medical schools on July 10, 2020.
- Submit secondary applications within two weeks of receipt. Some schools send secondary applications to all applicants; some send applications only after reviewing the primary application and some do not use secondary applications at all. Each school has their own specific questions and essays and most will require a secondary fee. Plan to have internet access and time to write these essays. Note that you are not considered fully complete until the secondary application and fee have been received and you will not be considered for an interview until you are fully complete.
AUGUST 2020 – MARCH 2021
Interview (we will do a mock interview with you if you’d like; contact us when you have an interview date set).
VIRTUAL INTERVIEWING 101—PREPARING FOR HEALTH PROFESSIONS SCHOOLS INTERVIEWS, WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 19, 7 TO 8PM EDT: What are some tips for preparing to interview at health professions schools? How can I prepare for MMIs? What special things do I need to think about for virtual interviews? What’s the difference between open and closed file interviews? Join Ms. B for a virtual workshop designed to answer these and multiple other questions related to the interview process for health professions schools during this unique application cycle. And bring your own Qs! The session will be recorded for those unable to attend; Zoom link information can be found in the newsletter.
- Receive acceptances or waitlist notices from October 15, 2020 to July 2021.
- Update your application as appropriate.
- Send letters of interest or intent as appropriate.
Looking Into the Future
APRIL 2021-JUNE 2021
- Continue to update your application as appropriate.
- Send letters of interest or intent as appropriate.
- Watch trafficking rules.
- Choose Your Medical School Tool becomes available in February
- April 15, 2021, applicants with more than 3 acceptances must narrow their school choice to 3 and decline their seat at other medical schools.
- April 30, 2021, applicants with more 2 or 3 acceptances must narrow their school choice to 1 and decline their seat at other medical schools. You may stay on waitlists.
- Accept admission offers; if you have decided NOT to attend a school to which you have been accepted, promptly withdraw your application from that school.
- Pay attention to the medical school you are choosing to attend’s acceptance policy. Follow Commit to Enroll deadline outlined by your school.
JULY 2021 – SEPTEMBER 2021
- Matriculate to medical school!
Please attend or view all sessions. These are meant to complement individual advising appointments not replace them, nor will individual appointments be able to provide all of this critical information.
If you are a Duke alum and need your NetID extended to view our materials please email email@example.com from a non Duke email to request that extension.
- Assessing Candidacy: these are the slides, audio/video, and self assessment form that help you review your own candidate profile and recognize your strengths.
- Application Kickoff 2021M: these are the slides of our information session on how to apply; and process for applying.
- RMA Lab : these are the slides and audio/video of our information session on how to create a quality RMA draft; if you didn't attend this session, please review the materials. We have also created a RMA Lab Handout with additional tips & pitfalls that you can review here.
- School Selection:here is the video and slides of our information session on how to create your school list; if you didn't attend this session, please review these materials. We have also created a School Selection Document to help get you started with your organization that you can customize for your needs.
- Personal Statement Workshop
- 2021M Guide for Duke Students & Alumni Applying to Medical School
- Fall 2020 Interviewing 101 PowerPoint & Fall 2020 Interviewing 101 Zoom
- Archived emails from Duke HPA with Cycle Advising