If you are applying to dental schools in summer 2020 for matriculation in fall 2021, then you need to begin to prepare this spring. Students applying to Texas schools through TMDSAS should be aware of differences in timelines. Here is a brief guide:
TO DO NOW
- The last day to declar your intent online was May 1, 2020. Please email Megan Kelly Tisdale directly if you plan to apply to dental school this summer and have not declared your intention.
FEBRUARY - APRIL 2020
- Talk to your recommenders early, at least six weeks before the application opens (around May 15, 2019). To determine who should write your letters, look at the web pages for the schools you are applying to because it varies. Provide the materials your recommenders may need (resume, cover letter, draft of personal statement, outline, etc.) and let them know that they will need to email their letter typed on letterhead to Duke’s Office of Health Professions Advising at email@example.com by June 5, 2020. Questions about this process can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you are requesting a committee letter you will need to email your completed Predental Essay Questions (see below) and a photograph to Dr. Keels at email@example.com in no later than the end of April. Please put “Request to set up an interview” as the subject to the email. Dr. Keels will then set up an interview with you.
- If you want a letter of recommendation from Dr. Keels instead of a committee letter please email her directly and provide a resume at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “Request for individual letter of recommendation” as the subject to the email.
- Begin your AADSAS application when it becomes available around May 15. If you are applying to Texas state schools, also begin your Texas application (TMDSAS) when it opens around May 1
- If you are not asking to receive a committee letter, then enter individual writers contact information.
- If you are asking for a Committee Letter, use the following information for AADSAS/TMDSAS:
Committee Member Names: Megan Tisdale (Primary Name)
Professional Title: Associate Director
Organization: Duke University Office of Health Professions Advising
Telephone: (919) 684-6221
- Send Dr. Keels your AADSAS/TMDSAS number(s) for your Committee Letter.
- Email the Office of Health Professions Advising at email@example.com the names of the individuals who will write a Letter of Recommendation for you. The HPA Office will include these with your Committee Letter. Please include a completed FERPA form as well.
- Have a transcript sent to AADSAS/TMDSAS with final spring grades.
- Take the DAT before the first week of June.
- Submit your AADSAS application as early as you can, so you will be considered in the first cycle. AADSAS cycle opens for submission in early June.
- To have the HPA Office release your committee letter: After your spring grades have been released by Duke, your submitted application has been verified by the application service AND all your letter of recommendations have been received by the HPA Office, email a PDF copy of your verified application(s) to firstname.lastname@example.org. The HPA Office will then upload your committee letter to AADSAS and/or TMDSAS within 10 business days. The latest you can request the release of your committee letter is September 1, 2020.
- Complete secondary applications.
AUGUST 2020 - MARCH 2021
- Interview (we will do a mock interview with you if you’d like; schedule when you have an interview date set).
- Update your application if appropriate.
- First acceptances are released in December; acceptances by schools not doing a rolling admission will be released in March and April. By April 1, you should be holding only one seat in a dental school. On April 5th, AADSAS will release information to dental schools if you are holding more than one seat and an offer to you could be rescinded.