PreHealth Information and Opportunities for Students Underrepresented in Health Care Professions
What does “Underrepresented” mean? “Underrepresented” means populations that are underrepresented in healthcare professions relative to their numbers in the general population.
Why is it important to increase the numbers of underrepresented students in healthcare professions? Some reasons include:
- To provide diversity in health care training to promote understanding and sensitivity
- To break down stereotypes
- To extend equal education to all individuals regardless of their background
- To create role models for future generations of healthcare providers
- To reduce social and ethnic disparities in healthcare treatments and outcomes